Saturday, October 27, 2012

Ful Medames

Ful Medames Ingredients

And now for the easiest recipe of the 101 Recipe Challenge thus far, Ful Medames.  The introduction to the recipe lists the dish as the national dish of Egypt and a delicacy usually eaten for breakfast.  I'm a big fan of many types of beans, so I was looking forward to this recipe (with the exception of the hard boiled eggs).

The recipe consists of canned fava beans, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper; with chopped parsley and hard boiled eggs for garnish.  I drained and rinsed the beans and placed them in a 2 quart saucepan and covered them with water by 1" and boiled over medium high heat for 8 minutes.

Boiling Fava Beans

I drained the beans again and combined with the liquids and spices in a bowl.

Ful Medames - Pre-Mash

Using my wooden spoon, I mixed the ingredients, taking care to begin mashing the beans lightly while stirring them.  To plate, I placed the bean mixture on a plate, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled the dish with minced parsley and surrounded with egg wedges.

Ful Medames - Saveur Version
Credit: Todd Coleman
Ful Medames - Schuler Version

While I didn't have the Ful for breakfast, after one taste I can understand why it is beloved by many in the Middle East.  I am not a big fan of hard boiled eggs, so I started by tasting the beans straight.  There haven't been many things I've eaten that have had a flavor that evolves through the mouthful as this does.  Before the spoonful even fully hits your mouth, the smell of the beans and cumin start the process, then you first taste the savory beans.  Next you catch a bit of the olive oil, but more importantly the acidity of the lemon juice.  Finally, the black pepper and cayenne give you a good kick, not enough to distract, but you still feel it.  The mouth feel of the Ful was fantastic.  The velvety mashed beans studded with some whole beans, drizzled with olive oil...it was fantastic.  I did try a few bites with the egg and didn't mind it...which is probably the best thing I could ever say about a hard boiled egg.

My wife Kim enjoys cumin as much as I enjoy hard boiled eggs, and to her credit she tried the Ful Medames.  She didn't mind the texture but the cumin was just too overpowering.  My sister had joined us for dinner (Ful for an appetizer, Beef Stroganoff - which will be my next post -for the entree) and enjoyed the beans.  Between the two of us, I believe we cleaned the plate.

All in all, will be making this again for sure.  It's quick, easy and tasty - some of my favorite qualities in a meal.

7 down, 94 to go.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this appetizer. It was something I'd generally look at and not be willing to try or not venture out of my comfort zone to make but I'm so glad I did. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Brooke! I will absolutely be making it again, but next time I will try making it without the cumin.

      Delete